A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Mac DeMarco “2” review

When Canadian singer-songwriter Mac DeMarco released his EP, “Rock And Roll Night Club” I was left confused by it. 9 out of the 12 songs were a lo-fi, weird, home recording, in what sounds like a impersonation of Elvis. So I couldn’t get a sense of what really DeMarco was about. The few things I did notice from “Rock And Roll Night Club” that he is one hell of a guitarist, your typical slacker-rocker and a pretty good songwriter.

He released his first length album “2” which caught me off guard on how good it is. The album shows a better glimpse on DeMarco. “2” oozes suburban, lazy, carefree simplicity that is pretty much needed in music. The opening track “Cooking Up Something Good” shows his life back at home and the everyday things that go around him, “Mommy’s in the kitchen, cooking up something good and daddy’s on the sofa, pride of the neighborhood, my brother’s in the ballet, it seems he’s got it set and I’ll be up at midnight, with my cigarette.” The simplicity of the chorus is pleasing to the ears and the guitars riffs flow well with the song giving it a lazy feel to it. Like I mentioned before, DeMarco is a pretty good songwriter, his lyrics are witty, full of charming phrases and humor. His lyrics have the quirks and kinks of a young Brandon Flowers prior to his “Hot Fuss” days.

All the 11 songs in “2” are good and unique in their own way but there are four songs that clearly stand out from the rest. “Freaking Out The Neighborhood”, an apologetic falsetto to his mother of his untold misadventures of young adulthood. “Ode To Viceroy”, where he serenades his favorite brand of cigarettes. You can hear it’s surf twanged guitars, it’s steady drums, and DeMarco’s half asleep voice. “My Kind Of Woman”, is about his ideal woman which features seductive guitar riffs and a lovely vocals that conveys the song’s romantic message perfectly. “2” ends with “Still Together”, probably DeMarco’s best song on the whole album. It’s a beautiful acoustic song that has no flaw. DeMarco sings it in a strong falsetto with not a crack at all. That’ll no doubt be a classic love song for the future.

“2” showcases DeMarco’s sweet voice and strong melodic sensibility while maintaining an earnest vibe, incorporating a dash of funny and a little romance. It’s arguably the best sedated, sun-soaked guitar rock you’ll hear all year. Mac DeMarco deserves your attention, you’ll do your ears a favor. Trust me. Though it’s labeled as slacker rock, that is the appeal. The beauty it contains is its straightforwardness. Nice and simple goes a long way.