A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“New Jet City” Mixtape Review

Throughout  2012 Curren$y has been releasing mixtapes building up hype for his next studio album Pilot Talk 3. Now 2013, the rapper releases his new mixtape New Jet City to his long collection of material, which only shows how consistent he has been over the years.

The mixtape features artists Wiz Khalifa, Rick Ross, Juicy J, Juvenile, and Trinidad James and more. The diverse collaborations and chilled out beats gives the tape some extra life to make it new and refreshing to fans.

The mixtape starts off with the track “New Jet City, with Spitta’s signature smooth flow over a pompous instrumental. The next two tracks have the features fans were expecting to hear. The track “Clear” features Jadakiss and the two go on about being bosses and running the game. A nice jazz influenced beat with nice guitar riffs. “Choosin” is one of the main tracks on the mixtape. It features strong verses from Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, and Rick Ross. What really makes the track strong is the beat being full of hypnotic synths and snazzy snares.

The tracks that stand out from New Jet City are “Three 60” which features Juicy J. Another beat filled with synths and a loud bass.  Curren$y gets veteran New Orleans rapper Juvenile,to feature on the track “Get Up”, the track’s main topic is living good with money, cars, and women. The song samples a line from Juicy J in the background which makes the song addicting. Both tracks “Coolie” featuring Trademark and “Mary” is laced with some soft bass and classy brass instrumentals.

The tape then ends strong with “Moe Chettah” and “New Program”. “Moe Chettah” is your typical money song with a nice falsetto sample of some random woman and more jazzy beats. Curren$y uses the same beat for the opening track “New Jet City” for “New Program” the only difference is that it features Young Roddy which gives it a different vibe to the song.

On New Jet City, Curren$y continues his prolific run on giving fans what they want, smooth beats accompanied by a laid back confident flow. The New Orleans native delivered a strong mixtape that will surely continue his reputation as one of the best rappers out right now.