A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Blake Stone: Student Surfer

Although surfing for only a year and a half, Blake Stone (‘14) has surely become comfortable in the waters. Being the fourth person in his family to surf, his grandpa, dad, and older brother have all lead him to trying something new.

While surfing is not very popular amongst Colonial Forge High School students, he enjoys surfing because it is relaxing and his friends surf as well.

Generally surfing every other weekend in Virginia Beach, Stone stated that his favorite place to surf has been Hawaii. “The waves here in Virginia are short faced and choppy, in Hawaii the waves are smaller and long faced,” said Stone.

Stone also is a lacrosse player at CFHS and plans to try out for the varsity team for the 2013 season. When asked which one he would prefer, Stone stated that he liked lacrosse more “because it’s a team sport”.

Lacrosse consists of communication and multiple players on the field at one time, and surfing is an individual sport that has one person competing rather than an entire team.

The main reason that Stone has found that surfing is for him, is because a lot of his friends from Chesapeake, VA also surf and he enjoys to surf with them when he travels to Virginia Beach.

While Stone has never been in an accident or a bad situation, he says the worst thing that has happened is getting hit by his own board after falling off, “it really sucks,” says Stone.

When people generally think of surfing, they question people as to if they have ever seen a shark or anything dangerous, and Stone says that he has only seen dolphins, “I really hope what I saw was dolphins and not sharks, I don’t want to see sharks.”

As fall is generally the main season for surfing, he says that a season doesn’t matter to him because he tries to go every other weekend throughout the entire year, and during the winter time he wears his wet suit so he does not freeze in the water.

“I just want to get better and surf whenever possible.” Only recently beginning to surf, Stone said that he would only like to do it in the future for fun and nothing serious like entering in competitions.

Also in Stone’s future is possibly the military, which he hopes he will be stationed near a coastline to continue surfing. “If that happens, I’ll just surf for fun.” Stone said.