A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Twins: Cleveland and Lydia Corbett (’13)

Every year, a student goes through a transition of leaving one teacher and going to the next.  If you ask a marching band kid they would tell you, almost every year dealing with a different teacher is a recurring event and a new experience. What makes Marching Band unique is the bond they share with one another and with their teacher. When a teacher leaves them behind to do something different with their life, the band has an empty hole in their relationship and with how they work as team.

“When a teacher leaves I feel like an abandoned baby in a locker.” said Lydia Corbett (‘13)

Lydia and Cleveland Corbett are two seniors who have been in band since their freshman year. They have gone through the cycle of having a teacher leave them. They are still able to work with what they can do and how they can make the band sound. They both have gone through three different teachers; Mr. Loft, Mr. Coston and Mr. Cordani.

“The feeling of having your teacher leave you, it just makes me sad.” Cleveland Corbett (‘13)

To every good teacher, there is a reason why they do what they do. Some may have different teaching techniques or they might try to relate to their students, but in the end it is always set up so their students can be the best they can be.

“Coston worked us hard, but it was only to make us better.” Cleveland Corbett (‘13)

Mr. Loft taught at Forge since the school opened and taught Marching band all the years he had been there. Mr. Loft was an understanding man who remained by his students’ side just so they can be at their best and does better than the way they performed.

“Loft was a pretty, nice guy. Very Friendly.” Lydia and Cleveland.

Mr. Coston taught the Marching Band for two years. He left suddenly after accepting a job at UVA. For marching band they felt left alone and upset wondering what to do. Mr. Coston however had an effective way of teaching that allowed his students to sound in tune and on the beat which is what his students remember him by.

“I think of Mr. Coston as a military guy, who’s always mad! But he liked me so I didn’t have any problems with him.” Cleveland Corbett.

Mr. Cordani has been teaching band at Colonial Forge since the beginning of the year. Being very laidback and positive he disciplines when necessary. If you ask a marching band kid what they think of him, everything said is always positive. Mr. Cordani is leaving the empty hole in the band relationship and leading it to a bright new future of working together and having peace once again.

“ I think Mr. Cordani is just a very chill guy. He’s just really nice and he relates to everybody!” Cleveland Corbett

Becoming a better musician,you face the struggles of getting there. Whether or not the challenges come now or later, it will enable you to establish your own backbone and stand your ground.

“I think that I have become a better musician, by the way I learn with the instructors.”

Now with two teachers gone and the current one on his toes, these students never give up on their musical talents. Still standing strong, these Eagles will not let a teacher leaving get in their way and that’s what makes a true team.

“It’s on to the next and on to success” Cleveland.