A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Backstroking to Brazil

Camryn Curry PC Holly Curry

Seconds away from the qualifying times, Camryn Curry (’17) trains every day to compete in the 2016 Olympics for swimming. Training with STAT (Stafford Aquatic Team) Curry is fighting to compete in two different backstroke events for the next summer Olympics in Rio, Brazil.

“I am just so excited. There are days when I really don’t want to go to practice, but I know what its worth in the end. I am competing to be in the Olympics,” said Curry.

Hoping to be able to live every young athlete’s dream, Curry practices every day of the week except for Sundays, and sometimes has double practices. She does all of this to prepare herself for Olympic trials in early July of 2016. She is competing to be in two events; for her 100 back she is one second away from time which is 1:03 and for her 200 back she is 6 seconds away from time, which is 2:14.

“Practices aren’t always that great but it does make me so much better. Swimming in general is just really fun. I just absolutely love the competition,” said Curry.

Camryn has been swimming competitively since she was 8 years old. She began swimming with the Stafford Sharks and four years ago started competing with her current team, STAT.

“When I was little we would always go to the pool and I would try to swim, so my parents made me take lessons and that’s when I fell in love with swimming,” said Curry.

Having two practices a day and long tournaments that can last up to 4 days involves some time commitment. Her mother has to drive her every morning and every afternoon to swimming can be time consuming.

“Our year round program is a 10 month program for most swimmers, but due to Camryn’s fast times, she is eligible to go to higher level competitions and only gets about 2 weeks off in August for a summer vacation,” said Holly Curry, Camryn’s mother.

Curry will continue to fight her way to compete, training every day, and trying to achieve her main goal of going to the Olympics.