Authorization of Right-of-Way Use

May 15, 2023

A local business requested the use of a portion of right-of-way road in the Falmouth district.

Map of the property in question (yellow outline) and road requested (red outline.) (RegionalWebTV)

The road would bisect the property to connect with other infrastructure, providing emergency access use only.

The authorization would also not block access to any surrounding areas, and is key to the building of a self storage facility on the property.

Areas around the site, including a neighborhood and trailer park right next to the area, provided community support for this project.

Public comments were then opened up in regard to the request, and Ms. Kristin Maxson would take the podium, with the concern that the new buildings would take a lot of plumbing and water infrastructure, and also brought the main concern of a lack of green space provided in the project.

Pullquote Photo

I’m not going to support this because I haven’t been supportive from day one because I feel like it’s going to be a hazard coming off that route right there by Drew Middle School,

— Mr. Darrell English

Approval was then granted by the board in a vote, but was split nearly down the middle in a 4-3 vote. Mr. Darrell English, Ms. Crystal Vanuch, and Dr. Pamela Yeung would vote to not approve the use while the other four members voted to allow the use.

“I’m not going to support this because I haven’t been supportive from day one because I feel like it’s going to be a hazard coming off that route right there by Drew Middle School, even if the access road is not going to make it.” Mr. Darrell English said.