Second Public Presentations

May 15, 2023

Ms. Molly Dunham was the first to speak during the second set of public presentations. She started by stating she did not like always pointing out problems for others to fix, but she now finds it important as she “didn’t see this board coming together as a cohesive group of leaders.” Molly Dunham said.

“I thought it was interesting that a board member recently stated that they would continue the fight in Richmond for the resources to fund our county and our schools, which sounded nice, but I cant believe that same passion by the board wasn’t shown last month and there wasn’t a willingness to fight to make this funding happen without putting our hands out to others. I’m not sure where the board thinks Richmond is going to get their money, but I’ll give you a hint: she’s five foot nine, pays her state taxes, and her name sounds a lot like Molly.” Molly Dunham said.

Pullquote Photo

I’m not sure where the board thinks Richmond is going to get their money, but I’ll give you a hint: she’s five foot nine, pays her state taxes, and her name sounds a lot like Molly.

— Ms. Molly Dunham

She said this in reference to the last funding decision, in which the county lacked the means to fund schools to a complete point which prompted a need for the county to search for other means of funding.

Shannon Fingerholz was the second to speak and started her speech in a lightning quick put down of funding schools with categorical funding, stating that categorical funding was a bad idea.

She would then turn her eye towards the board, and would analyze the social media postings of the board member who introduced the idea of categorical funding in her speech. She stated that, “Since January 1st he has made roughly 209 posts, about 2.4% of those were in relation to the schools in some way. Why would engaged constituents want someone who only thinks of the school 2.4% of the time deciding their funding? I am sick and tired of hearing ‘I don’t think the public understands’ we aren’t fools. I don’t need your ignorant pity. I need you to listen to our advocacy, I need you to actually work in the work sessions.”

Pullquote Photo

I am sick and tired of hearing ‘I don’t think the public understands’ we aren’t fools. I don’t need your ignorant pity. I need you to listen to our advocacy, I need you to actually work in the work sessions.

— Ms. Shannon Fingerholz

During the end of her speech she touched on the school board not visiting schools, not talking to teachers, and instead of being open to the community instead being closed off. And finally she also stated that the schools had not come to the board at the 11th hour requesting funding, and instead the board put it off until it was too late.

Ms. Kristin Maxson returned to the podium for her second time to speak that day. She started off her time by addressing some confusion in the room, and stating that “We don’t want frustration to be the element of the courthouse area. So if we can help, let us know,” Maxson said.

She then transitioned to talking about capital and transportation projects, specifically Brooke Road. She cited that the road floods many times, thirteen to be exact, and impacted hundreds of residents in the area, and believes that the road should be considered for improvement or aid instead of being forgotten.

Mr. Allen Watkins, who also spoke at the beginning of the meeting, was the last in public presentations to speak. He began his speech by thanking board member Coen for talking to his community and visiting to get a sense of the neighborhood pre-river crossing project.

He also invited the rest of the board to visit to see the neighborhood, while also stating his understanding of those who want the river crossing constructed.

Pullquote Photo

Please regard the human factor when examining all information that comes your way,

— Mr. Allen Watkins

He then stated that each of the options for the river crossing project had their drawbacks, no matter where it was built, and would have to be diligently assessed. However, the board had only requested a study on one of the four options to save money.

“All the options have detractors and create problems, but the only option, the one option that causes eight to ten homes to be torn down, would be option number two, where I live. Please regard the human factor when examining all information that comes your way,” Watkins said.