Eagle News Now 9-13-22

Kieran Murphy, Sports Editor

Your weekly news breakdown from the Talon Online News out of Colonial Forge High School. This weekly update is for September 6through September 13, 2022.

Script:

Welcome back to your weekly news bite. I’m your host, Kieran Murphy, and this is Eagle News Now.

Queen Elizabeth II passed away on Thursday, Sept. 8, at her Scottish castle Balmoral, surrounded by her loved ones.

She had lived a great many years, and was 96 years old when she passed. She lived through many historic events, due to being born into royalty in 1926, she witnessed the rise and fall of Nazi Germany, the cold war, and the transition from the British Empire into the Commonwealth of Nations.

Although much of the real political power lies in the hands of the British Parliament, the Queen and the royal family have remained an integral part of the British psyche and way of life.

After her passing, her son, formerly known as Prince Charles, was proclaimed king. Taking the name of King Charles III, to maintain royal tradition.

In his first address as King, King Charles spoke about his mother, “”Her dedication and devotion as Sovereign never waivered, through times of change and progress, through times of joy and celebration, and through times of sadness and loss.””

He ended the address by stating “ “And to my darling Mama, as you begin your last great journey to join my dear late Papa, I want simply to say this: thank you.”

“Thank you for your love and devotion to our family and to the family of nations you have served so diligently all these years.”

“May ‘flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest’.”

A possible turning point in Ukraine’s war against Russia may have been made with an off-guard counteroffensive from Ukraine which weakened Russia’s defensive lines in their stolen Ukrainian territory.

A series of blasts hit a Russian military depot in the annexed peninsula last Tuesday, suggesting a growing Ukrainian ability to strike deep behind enemy lines.

“The Russian army in these days is showing the best that it can do — showing its back,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said.

A U.S.-based military think tank, The Institute for The Study of War, stated in the most recent update that Ukrainian forces have forcibly gained back an estimated 2,500 square kilometers in area by Friday night, and continues to take territory back from the invading Russian military.

A wild fire started on Monday in Hemet, California and has so far killed 4 and burned over 28,000 acres. 

The fire was 40% contained according to the Riverside Fire Department in the newest report, due to valiant efforts by California fire fighters, cooler temperatures, and some rainfall on the affected area which was dropped by Tropical Storm “Kay”.

Although the fire is becoming more and more contained due to natural and manmade causes, the fire is still spreading throughout the area, and upending many families from their various homes in the affected area.

In Illinois, Governor Pritzker signed the SAFE-T act, which is already being referred to by some critics as the “purge law”. 

The law will end cash bail for the crimes of second-degree murder, aggravated battery, arson, drug-induced homicide, kidnapping, burglary, robbery, intimidation, aggravated DUI, aggravated fleeing and eluding, drug offenses, and threatening a public official. 

The new law will require Illinois trials to be held within 48 hours to determine if the suspect will be released. This law is claimed to be created to take steps to dismantle systematic racism in the judiciary system.

Currently, the law is not set to take place until January first, 2023.

The Clubhouse Restaurant at Aquia Harbor, in Stafford, Virginia gets major backlash after having a 9/11 themed menu. 

The menu, “Patriot Day 2022 Seafood Sunday” was taken down, but only after many angry comments were made about the dishes. 

Some items on this menu were: “Flight 93 Redirect”, “First Responder Flatbread” and “Pentagon Pie”. 

Many took offense to the “2977 Chowder” due to the fact that this refers to the death toll from the attack.

The online and local reactions to the menu were in many cases filled with disgust, as many believed this to be a vile commercialization of the brutal events that unfolded on the day of Sept. 11, 2001.

“My intention was to bring attention to that horrific day 21 years ago. To honor those who lost so much as well, those who gave everything that day.” said George White, the Clubhouse manager.

For school news,

SCA has begun selling  “Gold Out” t-shirts during lunch in room 207. They’re to be worn during Forge’s Gold Out game to raise awareness for childhood cancer.  

The gold out game is against Stonewall High School on Sept. 16, and although Forge is technically home, the game will be held at Mountain View since our fields are still under construction.

The Forge Varsity Football team won with a score of 35-14 against West Potomac High School, during their game on Friday. Although, earlier in the week the 9th grade football team lost 6-42 against West Potomac on Wednesday.

Seniors were required to purchase their cap, gown, and tassel for graduation, and had the option to purchase additional items for their graduation such as announcements and or senior apparel from Forge. Although the time to order the items during school lunch on this Monday and this Tuesday have passed, seniors are still able to order their needed items online, at the website www.jostens.com. Check the email from Ms. Lewis for more information.

FCCLA is still selling socks, their goal is 90 packs, so far they’ve only sold about 30. The goal of the sock is to help an amputee afford a prosthetic leg. Socks can be purchased at room 421 and 422, or at their online store.

That is your update for this week. This is your host, Kieran Murphy, signing off, see you next week.