Free Guy- Ryan Reynolds, The Top Of His Game

Producers of Free Guy

Movie Poster made by the Producers of the movie Free Guy

Paulina Ilina, Writer

Rating: ★★★★☆

Pg-13: language, violence, and/or sexually suggestive language.

Duration- 1 hour and 57 minutes

A new Science Fiction, action-adventure comedy movie, Free Guy directed by Shawn Levy, producer of Stranger Things (2016), Real Steel (2011), and Night at the Museum franchise, has come to Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Blu Ray and DVD formats.

The movie is a thrilling adventure with a perfectly cast main character, Ryan Reynolds, as a man named Guy. He captivates us with his charismatic and cheery personality, guaranteeing an unforgettable and distinguished line, his catchphrase “Don’t have a good day, have a great day!”. Guy is a video game bank teller who wakes up and does the same exact routine: he says hi to his fish, opens his blinds, gets the same order of coffee, and goes to work to be robbed by players in this violent video game. Along him is his security guard bestie, Buddy (Lil Rey Howery) who jokes continuously bringing a more light-hearted mode. Some characters could’ve been casted differently, like Antwan (Taika Waititi) and Mouser (Utkarsh Ambudkar) for obvious not fitting the perceived character and making them seem slightly odd.

Guy dreams about his fantasy girl, until one day when he finds out she is indeed real, he goes on a quest to find her. Together they attempt to steal a clip that would aid in Molotovgirl’s Millie (Jodie Comer) mission in the real world. This leads to a fun-filled adventure with clueless Guy and an early-2000s type of romance making it slightly more cheesy but still possessing the cute factor. 

After getting his hands on some special sunglasses,  Guy discovers missions, medikits, and hubs that only the “sunglass people” have access to, a start to a complicated plot that keeps moving unnecessarily quick. The graphics when he puts on his glasses make you feel like you actually are playing a game, alongside the mention of popular video game-streamers like Pokiman, DanTDM, and Ninja alongside other C-list celebrities, bringing gaming culture into the film. However, the gaming aspect was more focused on a Call of Duty type of audience, not including all types of players. 

At the same time there are problems in the outside world, with Millie and Keys (Joe Keery) because of a law-suit involving their indie game that they designed together many years ago. This brings in conflict with Antwan, the guy who allegedly took their code and implemented it into Guy’s game (Free City), and ends with long arguments and drastic measures. It all seems to be exaggerated and showing something that would never happen outside the movie world, making it more of an illusion based film.  

It all resembles a book report a student wrote in 15 minutes not having read the actual opus: messy.