7 Most Cringy Shows/Films on Netflix

7 Most Cringy Shows/Films on Netflix

Lacey Miller, Writer

For all those people who like the feeling of second-hand embarrassment. *SPOILERS FOR MANY SHOWS*

1. Cobra Kai

The entire series was a spin-off of Karate kid, where Daniel Larusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrance (William Zabka) both opened Dojos. The original fight they had as teenagers, plagued their adult life with the need to prove they’re the better karate fighter. If they had just talked about it, the series wouldn’t have spiraled into about 5 seasons of getting children to fight for them. There are intense karate fights every 30 seconds and multiple kids get trips to the hospital. Miguel Diaz, one of the main characters, (Xolo Maridueña) was involved in a fight where he was kicked off a third-floor balcony and ended up breaking his spine. Sam Larusso (Mary Mouser), Daniel’s daughter, was the love interest of Miguel and had little to no character development over the 5 seasons and acted as a damsel-in-distress in many situations she could have fixed.
Released: May 2nd, 2018
Rated: TV-14
Where to watch: Vudu, Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV

2. Ginny and Georgia

Georgia Miller (Brianne Howey) had a dark past and tries everything she can to prevent her kids from experiencing the same thing. However, her entitled daughter, Virginia Miller (Antonia Gentry,) won’t stop pestering her mother about her past and ends up deciding the root of all her problems is her mother. She cheats on her boyfriend with the neighbor boy, becomes best friends with the neighbor’s sister, and finds out her mom murdered her stepfather. When the writers added conflict between her and her boyfriend Hunter (Mason Temple), it was a fight about who was more of a minority and whose life was harder. They could have had them fight about anything, however, they decided that fighting about who was more oppressed would work best.
Released: February 24th, 2021
Rated: TV-14
Where to watch: Netflix

3. Vampire Diaries

When Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev) catches the eye of Vampire Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) she is targeted by Stefan’s enemies. While trying to keep Elena safe, Stefan pushes her away which accidentally leaves her vulnerable to his no-good brother Damon Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder) where a love triangle forms and continues for 8 seasons. Elena proceeds to switch from Damon to Stefan every other episode and complains about how hard it is to choose. Damon sucks blood and turns innocent people into vampires, while Stefan has gone “vegetarian” (he drinks animal blood) so that he doesn’t have to hurt people. In those 8 seasons, many of Elena’s friends turn into vampires, she meets her doppelganger from the 1800s, and a later antagonist creates a vampire-werewolf hybrid army.
Released: September 10th, 2009
Rated: TV-14
Where to watch: Vudu, Prime Video, Peacock, HBO Max, Apple TV

4. He’s all that

This movie stars Padgett Sawyers (Addison Rae) a high school student who made it her mission to transform her unpopular classmate Cameron Kweller (Tanner Buchanan) into the Prom King. It’s the gender-swapped version of She’s All That (1999), except they modernized the parts of it that made the movie what it was. Having an influencer star in a movie where she has no experience was not the best choice. The acting itself was not good, and the plot was cliche with turning an “ugly” character beautiful.
Released: August 25, 2021
Rated: TV-14
Where to watch: Netflix

5. Trinkets

After moving across the country, a friendship forms in Shoplifters Anonymous. And Elodie Davis (Brianna Hildebrand) thinks her life is improving, but after she refuses to seek further help for her kleptomania, she runs off with a country music star. She thinks her dad is being dramatic by wanting her to get some serious help so she resorts to running away and touring the country for no longer than a week. Part of the problem is that her friends think she’s cool for shoplifting, so because of her weak character she does it again and again. She runs back to her friends and father with her tail tucked and finds out her step-brother has started shoplifting as well. She finally realizes she needs help and the series ends on a happy note with her kleptomania ending.
Released: June 14th, 2019
Rated: TV-MA
Where to watch: Netflix

6. The School for Good and Evil

When best friends Sophie (Sophia Anne Caruso) and Agatha (Sofia Wylie) find themselves trapped at The School for Good and Evil, they are both forced to listen in order to survive their time there. After they both accept they’re stuck there, Sophie decides she needs a makeover, except the makeover consists of a black wardrobe and a queen bee mentality. Agatha forms a plan to get both of them out of there, but Sophie has already fallen in love with an evil villain and ends up betraying Agatha who only had good in her heart.
Released: October 19th, 2022
Rated: PG-13
Where to watch: Netflix

7. Haters Back Off

Miranda Sings (Colleen Ballinger) has dreamt of being a star her entire life, but her nonexistent talent stands in the way of fame. After not being disciplined as a child, she lives every day as if she controls everything and everyone, however, doing so does not help her later. During one episode, she travels to a nursing home and tries to get an elderly producer to get her on Broadway, but he ends up passing away after she starts singing to him. Miranda is disappointed after she finds out her chance for Broadway is crushed. At the end when her sister (Francesca Reale) finally tells Miranda off for treating everyone around her like dirt, her reaction is to cry and play victim.
Released: October 14, 2016
Rated: TV-PG
Where to watch: Netflix