A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Teacher Spotlight: Ms.Hansen

“It’s not just directing, it’s teaching,” Ms. Hansen said about directing the upcoming musical “Fiddler on the Roof.”

For the upcoming spring show, Hansen decided that a musical was the way to go, making Fiddler the first musical since 2011’s “Hairspray.”

“I like that it’s [Musicals] an opportunity for kids to pursue more than one gift. It’s great to see all those pieces come together. I also got my start from  musical theatre,” Hansen said.

Hansen chose Fiddler because it’s an ‘Actor’s Musical,’ meaning the stage furthers the story. The show also holds a sentimental value for her.

“Fiddler was the first show I was in. My mom, dad, I were in it with our community theatre,” Hansen said.

Hansen works out the simple choreography, which doesn’t involve as much of the intricate movement, and helps with song dynamics. As director, she is in charge of overseeing everything and deciding the blocking.

“The director’s job is to have a clear vision of the story and to be able to collaborate with others to bring that story to life and the stage. I rely on everybody to do their part and to bring the play to life,” Hansen said.

Hansen depends on her crew to keep everything back stage in check. Fiddler has a total of three stage managers, two assistant stage managers, three on costumes, four in the lighting booth, and two on props.

“My stage manager [Chelsea Yanke (‘13)] is great at anticipating. She thinks ahead of me, she even works ahead of me,” Hansen said.

In the end, this performance means even more to Ms. Hansen than usual.

“It’s special that the first show that I was in becomes his [Mitchell’s] last show in high school,” Hansen said.