A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

EMS Experience on 9/11/01

Mrs. Gardner (far right) with other members from her recruit class that responded on 9/11

Rookie school began like any other, a 4 mile run followed by a shower before uniform inspection.  Then we went into the classroom for the day’s lesson.  The fact that it was September 11, 2001 didn’t mean anything, at least not yet.  When the news began showing coverage of New York, our lesson came to a stop as we all watched the footage.  We were so glued to the TV that we barely took notice of the muffled boom at 9:43, everyone ignored it figuring a truck had backfired on the Beltway.  A few minutes later we found out that the boom was the plane crash at the Pentagon.  Abruptly, the day’s lesson stopped.  We began loading the command bus with all the equipment and supplies we could find.  After emptying the training academy’s supply room we headed north.Riding up Interstate 395 was eerie that morning.  Six lanes of major highway, empty, except for our small convoy of fire department vehicles racing towards a column of thick black smoke.  We stopped in Arlington at a Fire Station where the logistics command was being set up, and were all quickly placed with various medic units already in place to increase staffing.  Another recruit and I were assigned to a Fairfax County ambulance, and we immediately headed in towards the Pentagon.  Our first patient was a woman, probably in her mid-40’s, with burns on both arms and across her chest and face.  We bandaged her burns and started an IV so we could give her some morphine.

Arriving at Arlington Hospital Center was like living a movie scene.  An unending line of ambulances rolled up to the ED [Emergency Department] doors, each one dropping off a patient like an assembly line.  Walking through the doors we saw at least 30 hospital staff lined up rotating towards the ambulance doors to accept the patients as they came in.  There was a system in place and it was working.  We gave a verbal report to the ER staff and turned the patient over to them.  Restocking supplies was nearly impossible at the ED, so we went back to the station in Arlington where large stockpiles of EMS supplies were being collected from all over the region before heading off and starting the cycle again.  That was how the rest of the day went.

Despite the chaos and uncertainty, there was somehow an atmosphere of calm and control among the healthcare professionals caring for the victims of the attack.  People from all areas of the hospital, and medics from different EMS agencies spread across 3 states; none of that mattered.  There was a common goal and everyone attacked that goal with a sense of determination that I have never seen before or since.  No one bickered about protocols or said “we do it THIS way here”.

Communication with family – or anyone else without a fire department radio – was impossible, partly because cell towers were understandably overwhelmed, and partly because we were, well, a little busy.  I found out later that my mother was quite concerned (I was 27 at the time, and yes my mom was still panicked because she couldn’t reach me) until late that evening when I was finally able to call her and let her know I was ok.

The active EMS operations at the Pentagon lasted until the evening of September 12th.  By then the only victims left to be removed from the building were the dead.  The black refrigerated trailer set off to the side behind the command post served as a temporary morgue, and was a constant reminder of the horrific nature of the events of September 11th.

Without a doubt, September 11, 2011 was the longest and most stressful day I have had in EMS.  Despite the darkness of the events of that day, the experience changed me for the better in several ways.  The biggest change was my general outlook on life’s little problems.  I realized that minor annoyances and setbacks are going to happen, and it’s just not worth spending time or energy being frustrated about them.  I try to impart this on my students, especially those who get so upset about one bad quiz grade or one forgotten homework assignment.  It’s just a little thing that will soon be forgotten and won’t really affect the course grade – which is ultimately what matters on college transcripts.  Ok, you should have studied more, got it.  So instead of spending energy being upset about something you can’t change, put that energy into doing things differently next time.  Additionally, the importance of good communication and trust were reinforced for me.  On an emergency scene it is essential that each member of an EMS team knows what their responsibilities are, and that they trust each other to carry out those responsibilities.  I brought that expectation from the field into my classroom.  My expectations are clearly communicated, and I simply hold my students responsible for themselves.   If a student misses a lesson because they are working on something from another class, I expect that they will take responsibility for their choice and either review the lesson on their own, or accept that the next quiz may not go so well.  Complaining about it or arguing with me will not change the outcome; be responsible and accept known consequences, then spend your energy doing better next time.  These are the lessons that go far beyond a high school classroom.

In light of recent events both here in America and in other parts of the world, I feel very strongly that we as Americans should never forget what happened to our nation on September 11, 2001.  In remembering and honoring those who gave their lives that day, whether in New York, Pennsylvania or Washington, D.C., I urge you to also remember the sense of unity that emerged and brought a nation together.  The atmosphere in this country in the days, weeks, and months following these hideous acts of evil was one of patriotism, unity, and strength.  I remember that after this horrid event, things like race and religious differences vanished.  We were all simply AMERICANS.  I my lifetime, I believe that was honestly the most united the people of the United States have ever been.  I pray that one day we will have that kind of unity here again.

The link below is the video my husband Chris put together a few weeks after that day.  Whether you watch it is up to you, but either way, Never Forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50CaHdwtX8