What’s Been Hanging Around?

Hannah Feeken, Editor

Whether it is the intense twirling routines that impresses you, or the iconic Eagle that catches your eye, the new lanyards have made their mark at Colonial Forge and have quickly become a staple of student’s days. These lanyards are now their way out of the class.

“The use of lanyards is an alternative to the school issued agenda that solves some of the problems that occurred with use of agendas,” Christina Lewis, officer manager and principal’s assistant at Colonial Forge, said.

The lanyards are used as passes for students to leave the class to go to the washroom, get water, etc. Forge’s administration made the decision to switch to the use of lanyards to solve problems that occurred with the use of agendas.

“Some students would forget to carry or lose their agenda. The written pass in an agenda was not always legible,” Lewis said. “The class issued lanyard has greater visibility and identifies the room that it belongs to if lost in the building.”

The lanyards have specific color strings according to their use. The green lanyards represents the upper level of the building, the blue lanyards are for the first floor, and the black ones are for the building office aides. With the new color codes, it is easy for teachers to determine if students are where they should be in the building.

Forge is not the only school in the county that have moved away from student agendas.

Many schools in the county have changed their ways, but each hall pass system varies slightly from school to school. Although there are questions about sanitation, effectiveness, and the overall use of them, the lanyards, according to the administration, are an improvement to the school and have solved many problems that otherwise would be hanging around.