The Talon

Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

Connor Merk, Reporter

Torii Waisanen (‘19) became interested in swimming while watching her sister swim. Following in her sister’s footsteps, she started taking lessons at a young age.

Waisanen is currently a swimmer on the Colonial Forge Varsity Swim Team.

Waisanen (’19) competing in the 400 freestyle relay at the Colonial Forge vs Brooke Point swim meet

While some find being an athlete too draining, Waisanen finds playing for the school’s team rewarding. “Being a student athlete for Forge is pretty fun because you have the people you go to school with cheering for you,” Waisanen said. “And you’re also competing with with them as well.”

While she is not swimming for the school’s team, Waisanen swims for the Nation’s Capital Swim Club. Waisanen competes in multiple events on both teams.

“The events I compete in are usually the mid distance and distance events like 200 free and 500 free,” Waisanen said.

As if hours of swimming isn’t enough, those on the swim team take part in a rigorous schedule to get those hours in.

“A regular practice and meet schedule for a high school non year round swimmer would be waking up at 4:30 in the morning and getting to the pool at 5:15,” Waisanen said. “[Also] practicing for an hour everyday except for Friday where we would have a meet that starts at 8 and ends at around 10-10:30 at night.”

All of that time together equates to unforgettable memories for Waisanen.

“I think the most memorable memories I have from high school swimming are hanging out with my friends during the practices and meets and always being able to have fun with them,” Waisanen said.

To be successful in this sport, Waisanen gives up a lot of time to becoming an even better swimmer.

“I practice at least 15 hours a week, working in the pool and lifting weights before swimming,” Waisanen said.

Looking ahead, Waisanen has plans for the following years that include swimming.

“My plans for after high school are to continue my academics and athletics at the collegiate level,” Waisanen said. “[Also] work hard to achieve my goals.”

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

News

Art Attacks the Streets of Fredericksburg

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

News

New quarterback Madden Lowe (’20) leads team to victory against Riverbend and others

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

Features

World View: Model UN Expands Students’ Horizons

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

Features

Confidence in Speaking Up

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

Features

Assessing Threats For School Shootings

• Student Life

The Ultimate Highschool Checklist

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

News

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

News

• Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success

Entertainment

Orchestra and Guitar’s Spring Dinner and Concert

• News

Parking Lot Enforcement Becoming Stricter

A Colonial Forge News Publication
Torii Waisanen Swims Towards Success