Playing With Purpose: Bisco Discusses Music and Tri-M

Photo provided by Natally Bisco

Natally Bisco (’19) playing the violin at church while her father plays the piano.

Connor Merk, Editor

Natally Bisco (‘19) has been playing the violin, piano, guitar and ukulele since she was child. As a senior, she serves as the president of the orchestra division of Tri-M, which is the Music Honor Society.

“I began playing the violin in 5th grade. I started the piano when I was 6, but became more into it in middle school. Ukulele around 12. I got more into guitar in middle school, too,” Bisco said.

Bisco’s primary instrument is the violin. Playing this instrument has changed her perspective on music.

“I think it helped change my perspective on music more than any other instrument because that’s when I started taking things more seriously,” Bisco said. “In certain music pieces I find more depth into the piece, rather than just listening to it and enjoying it.”

She was inspired to play musical instruments by her older sister, who played guitar when Bisco was younger.

“When I was younger, I saw her really getting into it, because at my old church there was a youth band, and she was the leader of the whole thing,” Bisco said. “She would sing and play guitar, and it really inspired me.”

Bisco suggests that students shouldn’t take up an instrument if they aren’t committed.

“Honestly, if you are in love with the instrument go as hard as you can, but if you are really not into it, it’s not something that you should just give half of your effort.”

As president of the orchestra division of Tri-M, she has several responsibilities.

“I keep track of the people in orchestra and their points, as well as what money needs to be owed.,” Bisco said. “Also, I help contribute to point opportunities because being a member of Tri-M requires a lot of time for volunteering for music.”

Members can receive points by volunteering at specific events and opportunities created by the club officers.

“We have a lot of quartets at the school, so we have quartets from band and orchestra to perform at specific places, such as retirement homes, “ Bisco said.” Members can also do things on their own, such as playing at their church or tutoring.”