First Step To Become a CEO: Join DECA

Photo provided by David Weekman

David Weekman (’19) with Steven Dean (’19) and Matthew Hickey (’19) at a district level DECA competition.

Connor Merk, Editor

DECA, also known as Distributive Education Clubs of America, is a club that prepares students for competitions regarding business management, marketing, and hospitality & tourism.

David Weekman (‘19) is currently a member of the DECA chapter at Forge. He has been a member of this club since sophomore year.

I joined because I have always been interested in business,” Weekman said. “I was going to join FBLA, but at the time DECA had a flyer in the hallway, so I joined DECA from there.”

The club has an official meeting each month, but have extra meetings to prepare for competitions.

“So far for this year, from September to November we do practice for our district competition,” Weekman said. “Now until March, we are practicing for the state competition.”

Weekman has participated in multiple competitions from sophomore to junior year. When students attend these competitions they perform specific role plays they’ve been assigned and are judged upon their individual performance. He begins his preparation for each competition by choosing his event.

“After choosing my event, I begin practicing example role plays from that event. Then, I take the general test that determines my score, followed by studying vocabulary for my role play,” Weekman said. “Finally, I envision myself winning the competition and promise myself that I’ll make it happen. Confidence is key in business; sometimes you have to fake it until you make it.”

Weekman’s preparation has helped him win first place in sports marketing and in hotel and tourism.

According to Weekman, there are many benefits to being a member of DECA.

“It has definitely opened up my eyes into the business world in terms of how to market myself to people that I don’t know,” Weekman said. “ My experience with this club will help me when I am getting a job in the business world.”

DECA meets in room 142 the first Thursday of each month.