A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Students Excel in Extracurriculars

Students Excel in Extracurriculars

Although extracurricular activities are often seen as simply just a way to ‘pad’ students’ college resumés, there are many additional beneficial factors to incorporating these activities into your schedule. 

For instance, a majority of students have found that when they are forced to work with a stricter schedule filled with school work and extracurricular activities, it inhibits procrastination.

“When you’re taking rigorous classes, it is crucial that you balance your time wisely. I feel like when I participate in out of school activities then it keeps me on schedule and forces me to complete all my work in a timely manner,” Becca Mesfin (‘25) said.

Not only do these activities limit procrastination, they can provide outlets for students that can lead to academic success. 

According to OSU State, several research studies have shown extracurricular outlets also can have a positive effect on students’ performance in the classroom. Children active in outside activities generally post higher grades compared with those who are less involved.

Adding onto this, extracurricular activities can often evoke a sense of leadership in students that set them up for success in future endeavors. Not only that, leadership roles can also get students more involved in their communities, generating several rewarding skills. 

“To me it’s really important to be able to work with others when I’m trying to get things done. Everyone’s their own person with their own lives so we get a lot of different perspectives when trying to plan or brainstorm an event, and being able to work with people is a crucial life skill,” Ella Fulmer (‘25), Junior Class President said. 

Although extracurricular activities can take away from studying time, the benefits seem to outweigh the cutbacks.

“Being involved in a multitude of things does take time and therefore I do think if I spent more time studying, then I would have higher grades. But I’d rather be well-rounded and have good grades versus just having perfect grades without any activities or hobbies,” Lindsay Lee (‘26) said. 

In addition to academic success, extracurriculars involving exercise are proven to improve the mental health of most students.

According to Halifax Health, physical activity releases endorphins, the body’s natural “happy chemicals” and reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Sports are associated with lower rates of stress, anxiety, depression and suicidal behavior.

“Although it does take up a lot of my time, I always feel better after running. It clears my mind and I can just focus on my technique and what I’m doing, not everything else going on,” Captain of the track team, Matt Fisher (‘25) said. 

Extracurriculars can be especially beneficial for freshmen, as the transition to highschool can be scary. These activities can create more chances to make new friends and become more acclimated to the community. 

“I was really nervous coming into highschool and when I joined the cheer team I made a lot of new friends, especially the juniors and seniors that have helped me get through my first year,” Aleesha Murray (‘27) said. 

Not only are these extracurricular activities beneficial for students now, but they also open up future opportunities that can be applied to the workforce. 

“Through writing for my school’s newspaper, I was given the opportunity to write for a local publication,” Allie Medina (‘25) said. 

This internship has provided Medina with skills that she will later apply to future occupations. 

“I’ve gained the experience of what it’s like working in a professional environment and having deadlines and expectations to work up to. Without the skills I previously learned from this extracurricular, I wouldn’t have been given that opportunity,” Medina explained. 

However, internships aren’t the only opportunity provided through these activities, as scholarships have given many students financial assistance as well.

“I was given the opportunity to play soccer for a college and have my entire college tuition paid for. This scholarship was awarded to me through participation in competitive and school soccer,” Frantz Fulcher (‘24) said. 

Although extracurricular activities take time away from other tasks, they ultimately lead to lasting skills and opportunities that students can apply throughout the rest of their lives.