Transportation Issues

Where did things go wrong?

Students waiting in the auditorium for late buses. Photo: Jordan Mellender

Shelby Jaunal, Online Editor

Some buses never showed up, while others came hours late on the first day.  

As the day began, teachers showed slides for the first day. The slides gave students basic knowledge about the school, but kids that rode the bus missed everything. Not only do they now have less knowledge about the school than other students, but they also missed their first class for the year. This is still going on, to the point where some kids have never had a full first block. Teachers also have to deal with having half a class for their first period and having to catch up the late bus riders. 

The bus situation affected more than just bus riders, it also affected traffic, teachers, and families. Due to the fact buses weren’t coming, parents had to drop their kids off instead, which caused immense amounts of traffic. 

The first week was miserable trying to get out of the parking lot. The roads were so crowded, there were multiple accidents only days into the school year. Certain students didn’t get home until 6-7 p.m. This left them with no time to do work, or even have a little free time. 

Parents rely on high school students to take care of their younger siblings, but they can’t do that if they don’t get home until 7 p.m. This puts pressure on high school students. They have homework almost every day, siblings to take care of, and some students even have to work. It is nearly impossible to balance all of it when coming home hours late.

I have noticed people talking badly about the bus drivers, but this really isn’t their fault. We should be thankful for the bus drivers that have stayed and helped us through this difficult time.