A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Thanksgiving: Eat or Delete

(Katrina Frederick / For The Times)

Delete – Although turkey’s considered a Thanksgiving staple, is it worth slaving away for hours and your only result is a dry, average turkey? If you invest in an expensive poultry platter, let it be chicken.

Eat – Unlike turkey, Ham will bring a smile to your face once you finish cooking it. Nothing can compete with a ham from Honey Baked Hams. Not to mention that it pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes, and you’ll have leftovers for days.

Delete – Other than molasses, cranberry sauce is the grossest thing I’ve ever eaten. You can go ahead and delete gravy sauce from your holiday menu. Both sauces simply aren’t it, and I’d rather enjoy my food without a strangely flavored sauce.

Eat – Candied yams are the perfect mixture between savory and sweet. The secret to this dish is the perfectly toasted marshmallows that clash amazingly with the soft yams. This is a must-have every year on Thanksgiving.

Delete – The most forgettable dish on the Thanksgiving table has to be deviled eggs. There’s nothing that screams “I’m an average cook” more than an egg dish. Although it’s a simple and cheap dish, making a dish that will sit in the back of your fridge for a month is not worth your time.

Eat – 100% the best plate on the Thanksgiving table has to be macaroni and cheese. I’d take a plate of macaroni and cheese over ham or turkey and the day of the week. Just make sure your dish is crispy on the top or else it’ll disappoint your guests.

Delete – Green beans aren’t meant to be on the Thanksgiving table. That annual casserole your mom likes to make is gonna be overshadowed by all the other dishes. They have the same problem as deviled eggs, they’re forgettable. 

Eat – An oldie but a goodie. The classic stuffing never disappoints. Whether you actually stuff your turkey with it or just eat it straight from the bowl you’re going to love it. The variety of flavors allows you to fully enjoy everything stuffing has to offer.