Freshman Football Searches for Footing

Carter Smith, Writer

The freshmen Eagles football team looks to turn around their 1-2 season as they face Mountain View on Oct 12.

“We have a lot we need to work on to ensure that we have a strong rest of the season. We need to work on our blocking. We also need to focus on crucial details to give us an edge against our opponents. Lastly, we need to work on being accountable for each other, not only making sure we’re doing our own jobs but also making sure that everyone else is doing their jobs,” Sean Hill, the head football coach, said.

I feel like we haven’t really realized how great of a team we are and what we are capable of yet. We have a bunch of talent and the players just have to realize that and when they do we’ll be unstoppable.

— Coach Rock

The team was struggling in the last two games, giving up a total of 68 points in the second half. At the start of the season, there were some problems with positions and players doing their jobs. The coaches moved players around to ensure they have the best fit to win as many games as possible but some positions still need some improvement.

“The O-line needs some improvement because we have to be able to control the line of scrimmage to allow us to run and pass the ball effectively. The D-line also needs some improvement, we need to be discipline and pay attention to the ball and get a push so we can get into the backfield” Coach Hill stated.

The past couple of weeks have been difficult for the freshman football team, having lost back-to-back games against Stone Bridge and West Potomac. The team is getting back on track as the weeks go by however.

“I’m proud of how we’re handling adversity lately because the last two games we controlled the ball the first half holding each team to under 8 points but when those second halves came around and we started losing we started hanging our heads, walking off the field, and overall just giving up. We’ve made it a priority to focus on handling adversity so even when we’re losing we still have a chance to come back and win.” Rocky Carlisle, the assistant football coach said.

As the midway point of the season approaches, things are starting to look up for the freshman team.

When asked if he could describe the team in one word, Coach Rock responded by saying “Potential,” and when asked why he stated “Because I feel like we haven’t really realized how great of a team we are and what we are capable of yet. We have a bunch of talent and the players just have to realize that and when they do we’ll be unstoppable.”