Basketball Season Tips Off

Mal Flicks

Elijah Wise (’23) and Caleb Francis (’23) walk onto the court to face the Warriors Nov. 29.

Ruth Chung, Media Manager

After a long preseason of fall ball league, scrimmages, and practices, the Eagles finally played their first game of the new season.

On Nov. 29, all three boys teams traveled north to Arlington to face the Wakefield High School Warriors in their first regular season game.

Freshman team won 55-39, and JV lost 59-46.

“Now it’s time to get back on Friday and play the way we can play,” Matthew Holland (‘25) the JV starting point guard, said.

Varsity blew the Warriors out by 20 points and took home the 69-49 win.

“The energy was incredible, everyone was really hype for the first game,” Finn Perschau (‘25) shooting guard, said.

Third year varsity player Elijah Wise (‘23) led the flock with 19 points with an impressive stat line. Wise went 5/5 from the free throw line, had four two point shots, and two three pointers.

The other players in double digits were new transfer, Caleb Francis (‘23), with 12 points, and returner Jaiden Oglesby (‘23) with 11 points.

No time was wasted in getting on the scoreboard. 20 points were scored in the first quarter.

Charleston Hall (‘23) was feeling it from three and scored two three pointers just in the first quarter.

After a high scoring first quarter, the Eagles only scored 14 points in the second quarter.

At the end of the third quarter, the Eagles were on top of the Warriors 50-38.

The team finished the game with a strong and dominant performance, scoring 16 points in the third quarter and 19 points in the fourth.

On Dec. 2, both girls and boys teams were on the road.

The girls varsity team traveled to Battlefield High School for their first contest of their season, and the boys were at Forest Park High School.

The games resulted in disappointing outcomes for both varsity teams.

Girls fell to Battlefield 49-31 and the boys lost in a close game, 58-53.

Friday, Dec. 9, boys JV and Varsity will be at home for their first home game against the Freedom High School Eagles.

Girls will once again be traveling, this time to Maryland for a tournament.