A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Eagles Soar Over The Black Hawks

Bianca Santiago

Last Friday night, the Eagles took on the Brooke Point Black Hawks for their second home game of the season. 

The Eagles started off slow, with the Black Hawks maintaining possession on Forge’s half for the first ten minutes. 

The Eagles struggled to keep the ball off their half and out of their box, but towards the end of the first 25 minutes, the Eagles started to pick things up and connect passes. 

Although both teams were playing with intensity, the first half ended 0-0.

Beginning the second half was similar to the first, as the Eagles were taking their time to meet the same intensity they ended the first half with. 

As time progressed, shots were taken on goal from both teams with the ratio from Eagles to Black Hawks being roughly 13:8.

However, what was looking like a 0-0 game almost changed in the 48th minute. Getting chippy, Forge’s defense was trying to clear the ball out of their box, when one of their defenders fouled a Brooke Point attacker.

To this, the referee gave a penalty kick to the Black Hawks.

Sophomore keeper Charlie Kertgate (‘26) explains how he felt having to defend his second penalty of the season. 

“I felt pressured and almost scared in a way, because I knew it was a very crucial moment in the game and it was definitely a deciding factor to the end result. However, I knew that if I saved it it would shift the momentum completely for our team, and after I saved it I knew we would end up winning the game,” Kertgate said. 

With that, the game remained 0-0. 

Nonetheless, once again in the 55th minute another penalty was given. However, this time it was given to Forge and midfielder Malachi Pitts (‘23) stepped up to take the kick immediately. 

“I went and shot the ball, but before I touched it the Brooke Point keeper jumped off the line,” Pitts explained. 

Catching this fault, Forge was given a second kick, but this time defender Israel Villatoro (‘25) decided to take it. 

“Once I took the penalty I was confident I was going to score. When I shot it and saw the keeper dive the wrong way, it was an amazing feeling to come back from injury and get my name on the scoresheet my first game back.” Villatoro said. 

Now moving on with 25 minutes left in the game the score was 1-0 Forge. 

Although the Black Hawks got few chances on goal, the game was still relatively back and forth.

However, what sealed the win for Forge was their goal in the last two minutes by Frantz Fulcher (‘24). 

“I just saw the open space to dribble and took the ball straight down the field. I beat the defender and took a touch around the goalie and the net was open,” Fulcher said. 

After the second goal, the Eagles upheld their lead and won the game.