Meet Julia Weaver

Gaby Christian, Photo Editor

Meet Julia Weaver, Forge senior and portrait and senior photographer who started her own photography business during her sophomore year.

Talon: When did you start your business? When did you start it? Why did you start it?

Julia Weaver: “[I started my business in] 2015 during my sophomore year. The demand was getting higher for my portraits.”

T: What have you achieved with your business?

JW: “I have not only grown in my photography, but the connections I have made with the seniors I take pictures of makes it all worthwhile.”

T: What made you realize that you liked photography?

JW: “[I realized I liked photography] When I got my first DSLR camera in middle school. I had a prior amateur film background but I wanted to grow and pursue photography.”

T: How long have you been into photography?

JW: “I’ve been into photography for about 5 years.”

T: Why do you like photography?

JW: “I love the smile on my seniors’ faces when they see their portraits for the first time; I love making girls feel beautiful and confident in themselves.”

T: What are some challenges you face when taking pictures?

JW: “Weather. I always aim for the golden hour but rain truly does put rain on my parade for a portrait session.”

T: Did you always know you wanted to do this?

JW: “I knew I always wanted to do something creative with my life and to work with other people with similar mindsets as mine.”

T: Did you expect your pictures (and business) to become so successful?

JW: “Definitely not, but I’m so grateful for the people I met and the friendships I made because of it.”

T: What advice would you give to someone who is just starting to become interested in photography?

JW: “Do not let people tell you to your dreams!!! Be unique with your photography, and you will be admired for it.”

T: What is your process when you take pictures and do photoshoots?

JW: “I follow up with the clients inquiry, send them a proposal and an invoice, I send a questionnaire to further plan for the shoot (clothing, location, Make up artist, etc), we meet at an agreed location about two hours before sunset, and we shoot away!”

T: How long does each shoot take to photograph and edit?

JW: “It depends on the shoot. If it’s a basic senior session, I try to post one that same night, and then deliver the images within the next 2 weeks.”