Green Wall Hyped for Varsity Win Against West Potomac

Savannah Howell, Writer

On Friday, Sept 9, varsity football traveled 45 minutes to West Potomac High School to take on the Wolverines. In the first away game of the season, Forge beat the Wolverines 35-7.

“The game went really well. We were up 35 to nothing at halftime and overall just played a great game. It was a great experience,” said Jake Mangano (’25), the leader in pancake blocks.

On offense, starting quarterback Eli Taylor (‘25) threw two back-to-back touchdown passes. The first flew 58 yards to running back Colby Kynard (‘23), and the second to receiver Jonathan Barnett (‘24) at the 25-yard line.

On the flip side, Jake said, “We started off really really hot on defense, we were hitting on all cylinders, they got a three and out on defense and they just couldn’t do anything against us.”

In the stands, the Green Wall leaders were as rowdy and enthusiastic as ever. Not only did they show support for their team by cheering them on as loud as they could, but they also spent the days before convincing more and more students to come out and support the team.

“I really like this year’s Green Wall leaders. I think they are very involved with the cheerleaders and they make all of us feel like one big student section as opposed to being two separate groups,” varsity cheerleader Katelynn Smith (‘25) said on the following Monday.

Granted, there were not as many people as there would be if it were a home game, but for the first time in a while, the Green Wall took a “Battle Bus” to West Potomac. This “Battle Bus” provides transportation for Green Wall participants, allowing more people to come and support the team in the student section.

“I think the bus is a great idea, we definitely need more people to take advantage of the bus though, but it really shows who the real ones are,” Luke Murray (’25) said. 

Forge athletics plans to take two buses to the Sept 23 game against Stafford. Fans can sign up with the Green Wall leaders to get on the list to go.  

“There are definitely more people attending the games now that we have transportation for them and I hope we continue the bus in the future,” Katelynn said.