A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Forge’s Survival Guide To High School

Starting your high school career can be nerve-racking especially when you don’t know what to do. These are just a few tips to help you make it through your first year of high school. 

1. Check your Gmail and Canvas every day

• Checking your school’s websites and emails can keep you informed on announcements that can be very important and can help you stay on top of your work.

2. Be on time to class and be present in class

• Being on time is always crucial but when you are on time and present in class that is even better. Participating in class can have many benefits to your own learning and may even help others.

“I always have my schedule out on my phone so that I know where my classes are at and I can just go straight there to make it on time instead of trying to figure out where my next class is and being late,” Hosnia Tarin (12) said.

3. Be prepared

• Have your school supplies and homework done when you get to every class. Doing your homework ensures that you understand the material. You do not want to come to class unprepared and fall behind. If you are ready for class, you won’t be as stressed. 

“I always do my homework and understand the material, and if I don’t understand the material then I go to the teacher’s office hours,” Micheal Goben (12) said. 

4. If you’re not using it, don’t carry it 

• Coming in freshman year, you aren’t sure what you will need so many times students bring it all, but you don’t have to. All you need is the things for your x or y day classes and your pencils. Bringing extra books you aren’t using that day gets to be heavy in your backpack and it is just unnecessary. If you aren’t going to use it that day you don’t have to bring it.

5. Find a balance and get involved

• Getting involved in your school community is huge. You can make new friends and connections but also learn and try something new. When getting involved in clubs, sports, or any other activities it can sometimes be hard to juggle everything so finding a balance on how to handle school and your extra activities is key to success.

“If you are wanting to go to college they look for things like sports and clubs on your resume, but also you have the chance to make new friends and experience new fun things,” Ben Lemoine (12) said. 

6. Have good hygiene

• Getting sleep, showering, putting on deodorant, and brushing your teeth seem like everyday routine things but they are major. Everyone wants to smell and look their best so these everyday routine things cannot be one thing you forget. If you look good, you feel good and if you feel good, you do good.

7. Don’t procrastinate 

• Procrastination is one thing that will do no good for you. Just get it done. Waiting until the last minute to do everything is just adding more stress to your plate and may cause you to rush and get a lower score on homework for example.

“Procrastinating is actually really hard for me because I get anxious the longer I wait, but one thing I always tell myself is that the faster I get it done, the more time I’ll have to do whatever else I want,” Claire Wortman (12) said. 

8. Learn the school 

• High School is very different from middle school and it can be a big change. Learning where everything in the school is and learning the new rules can be a challenge but it is important. Once you get used to it, it will be a walk in the park.

9. Be aware of your surroundings

• Knowing how to act in a certain place is one of the most important things in high school. There is a time and a place for everything so goofing off with your friends in class may seem fun at that moment but the teachers won’t be happy with you. Keeping up with the person in front of you in the hallways and not just stopping in the middle to talk to your friends is not something students love so make sure to be aware of where you are.

10. Connect with upperclassmen 

• Upperclassmen have been here awhile and know their way around. Having a good connection with at least one of them can benefit you in so many ways, for example, to help guide you around, to have a good role model, and to just be a friend. 

“Connecting with upperclassmen helped me because I already knew some of them and they would help me if I needed anything at all,” Amari Greg (12) said.

11. Don’t be afraid to fail

• High school is all about trying new things and finding out who you are. Join the club, make new friends, and try out for the team, everyone is scared but you’ll do it together. Being afraid to fail is just holding you back from how great you could be.

“I usually try to think that it’s not a big deal, that what I failed at doesn’t define me and I have stronger points in other classes. I try to remind myself that there are going to be other chances to make it up,” Jordan Melender (12) said.