A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Fall 2023 Volunteer Opportunities for Students

Now that school is back in session, students are all looking for volunteer opportunities to get their hours counted and be involved in the community. With the month of October approaching, many volunteer opportunities are starting. Here is an official list of fall 2023 volunteer opportunities for students.

1. Stafford County Animal Shelter 

The Stafford SPCA is a registered 501(c)(3), nonprofit, no-kill, animal rescue organization, dedicated to saving and improving the lives of area animals. Volunteering here would consist of sorting food donations, walking dogs, playing with cats, cleaning up after animals, etc. There are a few requirements, being that you must be at least 16 years of age, willing to complete a background check and training, and must commit to two hours per month (or background check gets canceled). 

Contact Information: Mary Beth 

Email: [email protected] 

2. SERVE 

SERVE is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization serving all of Stafford County as well as portions of Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George Counties, and the City of Fredericksburg. Their mission is to address food insecurity, provide emergency relief, and promote programs that give hope and uplift Community neighbors. Volunteering here would consist of working in their pantry houses (stocking shelves, filling service boxes, item dating, etc.), building and ground maintenance, volunteering for community events, hosting or volunteering at a ‘Stuff the Truck’ event, and food pick-ups from different food partners.

Contact Information: Dorothy Luna

Email: [email protected]

Office Phone: 540-288-9603

Cell Phone: 540-370-3153 (text or call)

3. Downtown Greens 

This non-profit organization is a twice-weekly opportunity for community members to make a difference in the garden while learning about organic and sustainable gardening techniques from our knowledgeable staff. All of the produce goes towards people who don’t have access to regularly priced fresh produce in the surrounding area. The garden hours are Thursdays 3:00 pm–6:00 pm and Saturdays 9:00 pm–12:00 pm.

Contact Information: Downtown Greens

Email: [email protected] 

4. 5K Help

Another simple volunteer task would be to help with the upcoming races. Volunteering for these would consist of helping with packet pick up (working with a team using the RaceDay CheckIn app to assign bib numbers to athletes, and pass out race packets and t-shirts to athletes) aiding the water stop station (pouring cups of water, pass out to athletes as they come through, collect all trash and tear down water station), working the finish line (assist with backup timing, pass out medals, and cheer on finishers), or help with post-race food (set up post-race food tables and pass out water, bananas, and donuts to race finishers). Some of the upcoming races are:

Halloween 5K/Monster Mile, Stafford, VA – 10/28/2023:  Halloween 5K and Monster Mile Volunteer Registration (runsignup.com)

Links to an external site.

Turkey Trot, Fredericksburg, VA – 11/23/2023: 31st Annual YMCA Turkey Trot Volunteer Registration (runsignup.com)

Frosty 5K/Reindeer Run, Stafford, VA – 12/9/2023: Frosty 5K and Reindeer Run (runsignup.com)

5. YMCA Halloween Events

The Caroline, King George, Massad, and Ron Rosner Family YMCAs are all hosting Halloween-themed volunteering events. The Creepy Crawly Carnival (Caroline) volunteer opportunities would be helping with/setting up the haunted bus and trail, sensory-friendly spooky maze, crafts, carnival games, costume contest, moon bounce, etc. King George is hosting a Trunk or Treat, a Haunted Hayride, and a carnival. Ron Rosner is hosting a carnival, haunted house, and haunted trail. 

Contact Information: Angela Williams

Email: [email protected] 

6. Quantico’s Conservation Volunteer Program

The goal of the Conservation Volunteer Program is to manage and restore nearly 60,000 acres of forest and wetland habitat at Marine Corps Base Quantico. Volunteers will work in a team to preserve wildlife, help conduct ecosystem research, and more. Requirements include that volunteers must be at least 14 years of age and can help with a one-off event (just 3-4 hours) or on an ongoing basis (minimum 3 hours/month).

Volunteer Link: Conservation Volunteer Program (ongoing) 

7. Red Cross 

The Red Cross is always looking for volunteers. It provides comfort and care to people on the move, leads community health campaigns so people know how to live long and healthy lives, conducts search and rescue efforts, and reunites families in the wake of a disaster. There are a variety of positions available in categories such as: Behind the scenes, boots on the ground, client-facing, communications and outreach, finance and fundraising, IT, instructor/presenter, leadership, and team empowerment. 

Volunteer Link: Volunteer with the American Red Cross 

8. I Support The Girls

Program volunteers help to restore dignity to women experiencing distress or homelessness by providing them with bras, menstrual products, and underwear. Volunteering here would consist of tabling for donations, as they are tabling events at various Walamarts set up through October to November. 

Tabling for Donations, Central Park – 9/16/23: Tabling for Donations at Walmart- Central Park

Tabling for Donations, Central Park – 10/18/23: Tabling for Donations at Walmart- Central Park

Tabling for Donations, Southpoint – 10/21/23: Tabling for Donations at Walmart- Southpoint

9. Read 2 Lead Foundation

Read 2 Lead is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that seeks to empower the next generation of leaders by encouraging a love of reading. They work to build sustainable libraries, encourage a love of reading, improve literacy rates, and empower leaders. The organization works with your schedule in order to meet the requirement of 8-10 hours a week.

Volunteer Link: Read2Lead Fundraising Coordinator 

10. Stafford County Citizen’s Assistance & Volunteer Services

CAST (Citizens Assisting Stafford Together) is a group of volunteers who serve in all areas of our local government. These areas include Parks and Recreation, Fire and Rescue, and Recycling Educators. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities with this organization, able to cater to your schedule. 

Online Application: C.A.S.T. Member Application 

Printable Application: Printable version