A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

We Run Stafford: Basketball Home Opener

Dakari Phillips (’25) goes up for the jumpball. Picture credit: Ariana Perez Media

Last night, on Tuesday, Dec. 12, in their first home game of the season, both the girls’ and boys varsity basketball team got their first in-county win of the season over the visiting Stafford Indians. 

Both teams were absolutely scorching hot during their games with the girls beating the Indians 44-32, and the boys giving Stafford a complete beat down 73-44. 

The girls were led by guard Payton Schwinn (‘24), who was pivotal for the Eagles on both sides of the ball guard Destiny McKiver-Gross (‘24),. 

“We pulled it together in the second half and our energy brought effort and good execution”, Destiny said.

Another huge contributor to the girls’ win was post player, Niyaira Walker (‘24). Walker played tough defense, forcing turnovers, and had a good offensive performance.   

The Eagles displayed their strength, resilience, and ability to score and defend just as effectively. 

The boys followed suit of the girls, blowing out the Indians, and moving to an undefeated record of 6-0. 

Lead scorer of the night  for the boys was Khalil Hodge (‘25) with 18 points, 2 assists, and shooting 4/6 from the three-point line. 

“I played how I always play and it felt really good to be able to secure the win for the team”, Khalil said.

Making the win a team effort, Finn Perschau (‘25), finished with 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. Dakari Phillips (‘25), almost got a double-double on the night, scoring 8 points and 8 rebounds. 

The boys played a tough game, not allowing Stafford any chance of closing the huge gap in the score throughout any part of the game.

The boys’ win, is just a preview of what may be a very special season for the Eagles, showing the power and dominance of this year’s teams, which teams should take note of.

Girls have two more games this week, both at home, against Chancellor on Wednesday, Dec. 13, and Massaponax on Friday, Dec. 15.  

The boys’ next game is a home doubleheader against rival Mountain View on Tuesday, Dec. 19, which will make for a great game for both the girls and boys, considering our school’s long history with the Wildcats.