A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Things to Look Out for in a Relationship

Made by Kaleigha Arrignton
Made by Kaleigha Arrignton

In a relationship, there are several crucial elements to consider to ensure its health. Firstly, communication is key. It’s important to express needs, desires, and concerns openly, while also actively listening to your partner’s perspective.

Trust is another fundamental aspect. It’s built over time through consistent behavior, honesty, and reliability. Without trust, doubts, and insecurities can ruin the foundation of a relationship. Both partners should strive to be dependable and transparent in their actions.

“One big red flag to me would be talking to other girls. That breaks my trust completely and it’s hard to get it back. Cheating is another big one. If my partner cheated on me I would immediately leave,” Aleesha Murray (‘27) said. 

Respect is equally vital. This includes respecting each other’s boundaries, opinions, and individuality. Healthy relationships thrive when both partners feel valued and respected for who they are. Mutual respect lays the groundwork for a supportive relationship.

Compatibility is also key. While differences can enrich a relationship, core values, goals, and lifestyles are crucial for long-term compatibility. Shared interests and values provide a common ground for connection and understanding.

“I think that Cassidy and I both have specific goals but we support each other even if it’s hard to. We connect over supporting each other and that’s something special,” Dom Brar (‘24) said. 

A healthy relationship requires effort and commitment from both parties. It’s essential to prioritize the relationship, invest time and energy into it, and be willing to work through difficulties together. Continuous effort and dedication are essential for keeping a connection.

“If I have learned anything from my past relationships it would be that effort goes both ways and I need to make sure I’m putting in my half of the effort to make it work because if I don’t then the other person just feels unwanted,” Ethen Horne (‘24) said. 

As these qualities represent fundamental aspects that every relationship should have, it is inevitable to escape the bad parts as well. In today’s society, people think the things their partner does are okay because social media has normalized it, but they are not. Being in high school could mean falling in love for the first time and it is all exciting but you have to look out for the red flags as well. 

Identifying toxic elements within a relationship is crucial for maintaining emotional well-being. One big sign of toxicity is possessiveness and control. Partners who exhibit controlling behavior may dictate how their significant other dresses, and who they spend time with, or constantly monitor where they are. This behavior undermines individuality and can lead to feelings of suffocation. 

Another red flag is manipulation. It is a toxic trait that can manifest in various forms, such as guilt-tripping, gaslighting, or withholding affection as a means of control. Manipulative partners may twist facts and invalidate emotions to get their way, leaving the other person feeling confused and emotionally drained. 

Emotional or physical abuse should never be tolerated. Abuse can take many forms, including verbal insults, threats, or physical violence. Victims often endure these behaviors due to fear, guilt, or a misguided sense of loyalty, but it’s essential to recognize these patterns and seek support to break free from the cycle of abuse.