A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Athletic Training Appreciation

We have all been to a sporting event and witnessed an athlete get injured and someone runs out to the field to assess them quickly, but have you ever really thought about who that was? It’s the athletic trainer. Trainers are critical in helping athletes have a healthy and safe sporting experience. They help athletes with rehab, maintaining a healthy body to perform their sport in, any pre-game taping they may need, and so much more. They help educate parents, athletes, and coaches about the risks of injuries, the importance of rest, and proper nutrition and hydration. Athletic trainers are health care providers on site. 

To honor our athletic trainers and appreciate them for all they do, March is National Athletic Training Month. It is dedicated to all the trainers who play a vital role in the development and health care of athletes at various levels. It’s a month to say thanks and give back to them just as they have given so much to you. The National Athletic Trainers’ Association has been celebrating this month since 2000 and will continue to do so in the years ahead.

“I think just having more respect from the athletes and being seen as their athletic trainer is a good way to start. I’m not saying I want to seem above them but I just want a professional relationship,” Student athletic trainer Stella Tenkorang (12) said.

Almost two-thirds of high schools in the country don’t have regular access to on-site health care. Colonial Forge is lucky enough to have an amazing athletic trainer on campus. Mr. Serafin sacrifices so much for his job and it’s honorable. He is an athletic trainer and a teacher all in one. He teaches Sports Medicine 1 and 2 and shows students just how much it takes to do the job while also being the school’s trainer. From teaching them how to tape, perform rehab exercises, and assisting with injuries, he teaches it all. The athletic training organization is beyond compare to any other school.  

“I will take my communication, teamwork, and determination skills that I got from this experience to college as I plan on majoring in biology with a physician assistance graduate program,” Student athletic trainer Kiyah Robinson (12) said. 

Not only does Forge have a great trainer, but Forge also has great student athletic trainers. They are known for being highly professional and quick. They will always know what to do if an injury occurs because of the hours they spent practicing for an incident. From ankle taping to stretching an athlete out, they can do it all.

“Mr Serafin has taught me a lot while being in his class, ranging from basic medical care to providing rehabilitation and taping for athletes. He makes the stressful situation easier. Dealing with injuries in the middle of a game with precision, quickness, and all while keeping the athlete calm during an injury would probably be the most important thing he has taught me,” Student athletic trainer Michael Goben (12) said.

There are so many ways to thank your trainers during National Athletic Training Month, and a little goes a long way. If you work with an athletic trainer, arrive on time or early for a rehab session. Come into the training room with a smile on your face and say hello. Saying thank you after they help you is the smallest but biggest way to show your appreciation. Recognizing your trainers, however you choose to do it, shows your gratitude for their role in health care. 

“I mean I am not sure where to start. Mr Serafin has done so much for me and I am not 100% sure how to thank him. For Putting up with my energetic personality and giving me a hard time with my stupid comments. So thank you for that and for always giving me a home away from home,” Michael said.

“Mr. Serafin, thank you for giving me this opportunity and giving me the chance to work with you and learn from you. I’ve learned a lot of things that help me in my everyday life. You don’t limit your teaching to just athletic training, you also taught me life skills and always gave us a good laugh,” Stella said. 

“Thank you Mr. Serafin for everything you’ve taught me this year. You made me look forward to class every single day. So many memories have been made this past school year and I will cherish them all,” Student athletic trainer Ashley Parker (11) said.

“Thank you trainers for doing a great job throughout all season and helping all student-athletes get better from injuries and continue playing the sport they love,” Aaron Goshorn (12) said.