Meet Angelica Chandler

Gaby Christian, Photo Editor

This is Ashley Chandler (’19), Angelica’s younger sister who frequently models for her photos. This picture was taken in Downtown Fredericksburg near the Fredericksburg Amtrak Station.

Meet Angelica Chandler, senior at Colonial Forge High School, and aspiring photographer who loves to capture moments, find the raw beauty that every person hold within themselves, and looking at things at a new perspective.

Talon: When did you first realize you liked photography?

AC: “I’ve always been into trying new things, so I had tried photography but wasn’t super great at it. They were all just generic photos with no meanings behind them, so I kind of just gave up. What got me back into it is this dude I met in elementary school. He’s an amazing photographer, and goes to Stafford High School, but really, just looking at this art form in general [is what made me realize I like photography]. The way people capture these moments to me is incredible. There’s really no limit to what can be done.”

T: How does taking pictures make you feel?

AC: “Taking pictures makes me feel great [and] knowing I have the power in my hands to capture these moments forever. I’m a really forgetful person who also happens to be a memory hoarder, so taking pictures helps me record these memories.  The best feeling is when people ask me to take pictures of them. I don’t think I’ll ever get over the feeling of it, because each shoot is a different experience and has even connected me back with old friends. All of it just makes me feel like I’m taking steps in the right direction.”

Angelica Chandler
Ashley Chandler poses for her sister for a Downtown Fredericksburg photo session

T: When/where/how did you learn how to use the camera?

AC: “I had no clue how to use the camera I’m using right now when I first got it (probably 3 years ago), but my cousin showed me a couple things because she was a graphic design major. I’m learning to use the functions of a camera properly in Imaging Technology with Mr. Henry this year. I knew most of the photo composition aspects already but I’m learning the technical stuff there so that’s still a work in progress.”

T: How long have you been interested in photography?

AC: “I’ve always had an admiration for art in general, but I’ve just recently gotten serious about photography so i’d say about 6 months.”

T: What do you see yourself doing in the future with photography?

AC: “In the future, I definitely see myself doing it on the side of whatever else I decide to do. I don’t see it as something I could give up.”

T: Why do you like photography?

AC: “It’s nice having this power in my hands. It’s such a creative art form where you can control so many aspects of it, like the lighting, subject, theme, color, or location. It’s also something that can be done everywhere at any moment, really just spontaneously. It’s art where you can capture subjects or moments that take you back in time.”

T: What kinds of pictures do you like to take?

AC: “I like taking rough photos; maybe raw would be a better word. Portraits are by far my favorite thing to do, letting people be themselves in front of the camera, although sometimes I’ll dress up my friends just for the looks. By the end of this year, I want to print a lookbook, really just for the fun of it at this point. It’s kind of my way of incorporating other arts into my photography. So right now that’s my ongoing theme.”

T: Tell me your photo-taking process.

AC: “First, I come up with an idea which is usually out of the blue. I think to myself, ‘oh that’d be cool’ and try to make it happen. When it comes to the making-it-happen part, I come up with a couple different outfits or props that we could try and then just wing it from there. Right now, I don’t use anything besides a camera so there isn’t really much going on there. I do a couple test shots before I start to make sure the settings are all good. Once I start taking pictures we try and do a bunch of poses to have a variety of different ones and just go from there.”

Angelica Chandler
Ashley Chandler poses for a portrait in Downtown Fredericksburg.

T: Do you edit your photos? What is your editing process?

AC: “I like to do minimal editing on my photos just because of that ‘rough look’ preference. If anything, I’ll just edit things that are distracting, a few imperfections here and there, or play around with the contrasts”

T: Where do you like to take photos? In a studio-like environment, nature, etc.?

AC: “Definitely nature! I’ve found indoor lighting looks rather artificial, if that makes any sense, and there is something about natural lighting and an overall outdoor environment that I prefer in the picture. It’s a little less staged and more natural, or practical almost.”

Recently, Chandler made a website displaying her photography:  angelicuhdawn.weebly.com