Racial Profiling in School

Ernesto Bowen, Sports Reporter

Most people discriminate other people due to their own personal self-esteem issues. Self-esteem means the feelings that people have about their value and ability. For example, between the 17th and 18th century the Europeans believed that they were superior to the population around them; that’s why they imprisoned the Africans and Indians and even took their land. The Europeans used the white superiority doctrine of believing that since they were white and felt they were more civilized than the other races, they were supposed to have more resources and receive better treatment.
After the election of President Obama, most people thought that racism was no longer an issue in America. Thomas Sowell, a conservative African-American scholar, refused these claims, and stated that racism wasn’t over, it was on life support (Kong, 70). Sadly, discrimination and racism are forever here, especially for black Americans. Research indicated that black students in colleges have high-stress levels as compared to those of other races.
​It is very unfortunate that African-American kids experience racism from preschool all through until college. Results from a study done by Pew Research Centre showed that African Americans who attended college were likely to say that they had been through all types of discrimination and racism as compared to African Americans who did not go to college. Also, research indicated differences between African Americans who attended college and those who didn’t. In the past year, 55% of individuals who had attended college said that people had behaved in a suspicious way around them while 38% of those who had not attended college stated that people had acted suspiciously (Jones, 20).So this means, 52% of individuals who had attended college said that people had viewed them as dumb as compared to 37% who didn’t attend college (Jones, 21). Black boys are three times as likely to be suspended as compared to white boys, while black girls are four times more likely to be suspended as compared to white girls. This is a reality most black students have to deal with every day in schools. Black children make up for 18% of enrollments in preschool, and they make up 48% of the total students who receive one or many suspensions (Jones, 23).
​Suspension in schools is kinda the same pattern with law enforcement and getting arrested. African-American students make up 27% of all the students who get referred to law enforcement and 31% of the students who get arrested, despite only 18% get enrolled in American schools (Jones, 23).African-American students do not receive the benefit of the doubt in cases when they are involved in questionable/bad behavior. Cases have been reported of black students who are relaxing in a park, touring a university/college they hope to attend, or just walking around in the university they already are enrolled. Then people call the police on them, claiming that they look out of place or they don’t belong. When the cops arrive, they arrest the person, making the black students feel traumatized due to experiences of being interrogated, detained and making others uncomfortable for being in a specific place while their skin color is different from that of the white stories like the young lady from .
A Yale student explained that cops were called on her since she was sleeping in school. She stated that the black students had issues of proving all the time that they had permission to be in certain places. Racial profiling has different effects especially to students from oppressed ethnic groups. Students who undergo racism from their teachers and peers are likely to get angry, and such behavior results in a strict discipline which can frustrate the kid. The students who got in trouble the most times dropped out of school. Also a study indicated academic performance gaps between students of different ethnicity. Research by the Education Commission in the US said that Hispanic and African American students perform almost the same as Caucasian pupils in class occupying the 25% bottom performance (Teasley, 37).
The gap is associated with the low expectations by the teachers for students of diverse races, which is an idea which is mostly based on racism. Students whose performance is poor are not likely to complete their high school classes or join college. Those who are lucky enough to complete earn minimal wages causing significant achievement gaps between the whites and other races. Closing that achievement gap is one of the pressing issues in the 21st century by the association of school administrators in California.
​Racial profiling can also lead to racial tensions in schools where a hostile environment is created and which is characterized by segregation by race, bullying and racial slurs. The pressure may turn into a physical assaults and hate crimes by students of many backgrounds. When the learning environment is stressful, anxiety is high, and learning is distracted. Most parents may want to transfer their kids to other schools when the administrators and teachers seem blind about issues of racial discord. But, racial profiling can cause an unfair distribution of resources by the government. Research conducted by the Department of Education in the US indicated that 45% of schools which admitted minority and low-income students received less state and local aid as compared to more affluent schools in the same district (Teasley, 37). Schools which are given fewer resources find it difficult to renovate their facilities, attract qualified teachers and update their technology. These students in such schools do not have access to talented or gifted programs and advanced classes making them less advantaged or competitive as compared to the white students when applying for entry to the best colleges.
​Eliminating racial profiling in schools is vital in making sure that all students receive a good education that eventually leads to lifelong success. Police are the primary cause of bias calls through 911. There are programs which advise/persuade people to see something and call the police using 911 this resulting in calls reporting suspicious people. Even without those misleading programs, racist people will keep calling the cops on people of all types races for living their healthy lives. Police need to come up with specialized training and policies which will address the 911 calls when they come (Epp, 172). However, there is no guidance on ways of coming up with strategies. To deal with this issue, A university came up with a campaign to take up a policy for responding and screening calls in places which are prone to be a problem or highly protected to the community especially in white universities and colleges which operate their security forces and police.
​University and college police departments can be a great place to start change that will spread even in society. The policies used by campus police are easier and simpler since police departments, and campus dispatchers are way smaller firms with smaller outlined missions and simpler dispatch systems (Durlauf, 419).The office of university management mostly has the power to alter campus police policies. This it is way easier to taken these policies. Also, obtaining of these policies in campus or college police departments can make the county and city enforcement departments to adopt similar policies. The goals of these policies are to ensure that all students from all races can live their lives comfortably without the fear of being arrested and detained without reason. The procedures will also provide equality and diversity in schools. In conclusion, brown and black people should be able to depend on the police for protection and let them lead their lives comfortably. To eliminate racial profiling, it is important to come up with policies which will ensure all citizens are treated the same.