A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Stick to The Resolution

Some of us are a month into our New Year’s resolutions, perhaps already congratulating ourselves for sticking to whatever we resolved. Some people give resolutions a bad reputation because they tend to grade themselves pass or fail when, in reality, they’ve made key improvements in various areas of their lives by mostly sticking to a resolution. Here are some ways you can stick to your resolution this year.

Set realistic goals and start small. Make sure your resolutions are achievable and realistic. Setting overly ambitious goals can lead to frustration and demotivation.  Be honest with yourself about what you can realistically accomplish given your time, skills, and circumstances. Break down larger objectives into smaller, more manageable tasks, making tracking progress and maintaining momentum easier. 

“Starting with small goals like getting better grades this year can eventually lead to big goals like getting into a good college so making small goals is one of the most important steps,” Sky Patterson () said.

Choose a goal you’ll enjoy. You’re more likely to succeed if you pick something you like to do or if you can find a way to make it more fun. Start by reflecting on your interests and values. Pay attention to activities that make you lose track of time or bring a sense of satisfaction. Additionally, envision the journey toward the goal – if the process excites you, it’s more likely that you’ll stay committed. 

“I feel like choosing a goal you enjoy is important because it keeps you motivated to work for something you want, not something someone else told you to do,” Katelynn Smith (‘25) said. 

Stick to a plan. Sticking to a planned goal requires a combination of discipline, focus, and adaptability. First, create a detailed plan outlining the steps needed to achieve your goal. Break the goal into smaller, manageable tasks, making it easier to stay on track. Establish a routine that incorporates these tasks into your daily or weekly schedule, fostering consistency. This includes thinking through ways to eliminate potential obstacles. 

“New year’s resolutions have to follow a plan to work. Without a plan in place, you will have no path to follow to achieve your goal,” Aleesha Murray (‘27) said. 

Subtract things from your life. Begin by identifying elements in your life that may hinder your progress or are not aligned with your goal. This could include activities, habits, or even relationships that drain your time and energy. Make a conscious effort to declutter your schedule and environment by eliminating unnecessary commitments or distractions. Prioritize your goal by allocating time and resources specifically to its pursuit. Embrace the concept of minimalism, focusing on what truly matters and shedding the excess. 

“One thing that is helping me stick to my goal is cutting negative people out of my life, and making room for more positive things to come,” Mina Tarin (24’) said.

Stay consistent with your goal. Consistency is key to forming new habits. Try to stick to your resolution every day, even if it’s in small increments. Find ways to stay inspired by visualizing the positive outcomes of achieving your goal. Surround yourself with a supportive environment, whether it’s through friends, family, or like-minded individuals who can encourage and provide feedback. Embrace the mindset that setbacks are a natural part of the process and use them as learning opportunities rather than reasons to give up. 

“Staying consistent is really important because if you aren’t consistent then you won’t see results,” McKynzie DeShields (‘24) said.

Be patient and don’t give up. Change takes time. Be patient with yourself and understand that setbacks are a natural part of the process. Learn from them and continue moving forward. Adjust your plan if necessary, but maintain a commitment to the essence of your goal. Focus on the satisfaction and personal growth that comes from pursuing and achieving your objectives, reinforcing your determination to see it through.

“My new year’s resolution is to volunteer at the homeless shelter more and helping around there has taught me that change takes time and giving up never helps anyone,” Michael Goben (‘24) said.

Track your progress and celebrate the successes you have. Keep a record of your achievements and milestones and always celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Take the time to reflect on the positive changes and lessons learned during the journey. Tracking your progress can boost motivation and provide a sense of accomplishment. Consider implementing a reward system for reaching significant milestones as a way to reinforce your achievements. 

“Since my New Year’s resolution is to stay disciplined and not procrastinate, it is easy to track my progress and it feels good to know that I’m getting things done on my time,” Isaac Natchia (‘24) said.