A Colonial Forge Student Media Publication

Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Skipping Thanksgiving?

Skipping+Thanksgiving%3F

There are two people in this world: people who savor Autumn, enjoying their pumpkin spice and Thanksgiving feasts, and then there are those who have their Christmas decorations up by midnight on Halloween. 

Personally, the only day I acknowledge Thanksgiving is on Thanksgiving Day. Any other time, I am in the full-blown Christmas mood. I’m pretty sure I started my Christmas wishlist in September. 

I mean, who is celebrating Thanksgiving as a whole season? I get decorating your house with festive decorations, like pumpkins, leaves, and turkeys but no one decorates for Thanksgiving, just Autumn as a season.

Come on now, who is putting up a Thanksgiving tree and giving out presents? 

Also, there is no Thanksgiving music like there is Christmas music. What are you going to listen to get in the Thanksgiving mood, turkey noise saying “gobble gobble”? I’m just saying, it’s super hard to get excited for Thanksgiving when nothing is exciting that leads up to it.

Christmas has movies that you watch that put in you that perfect, cheery Christmas mood, but last I recall, the most relevant and only Thanksgiving movie that I have ever seen is “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”. 

Maybe all the Thanksgiving lovers and anti-Christmas in November people can watch History Channel movies together about Thanksgiving and the pilgrims.   

Thanksgiving just gets lumped together with Fall, but Christmas gets to be its own thing. When you think about Thanksgiving you probably picture everything you see when you think about Fall. However, when you think about Christmas you probably picture gifts, Christmas lights, and Santa, not the coldness of Winter.

Don’t get me wrong, I will never pass up Thanksgiving day, especially only because of the food. Unless you are one of those people who wakes up early to watch the parade or watch a Thanksgiving football game, Thanksgiving is just a few hours of sitting around waiting for food then getting way too stuffed and falling asleep.

Talk about overrated, I can do that on any other day of the year.

The only part of Thanksgiving I care about is Black Friday, but Black Friday just isn’t the same anymore. Stores do “Black Friday” sales for the whole month of November now, so what’s the point of my shopping at your store or on your website if I can get some new clothes at an actual Black Friday price?

That’s highway robbery, and I will not fall victim to a scam, even if it means passing up on cute clothes.

Sorry to all the Thanksgiving lovers out there, I will forever continue to start listening to my Christmas music on the first of November and be in the Christmas mood all through the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with my Christmas socks and Uggs.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Colonial Forge High School - 550 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA
$1020
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the free student press at Colonial Forge High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover our annual website hosting costs, and help send student journalists to conferences and workshops.

About the Contributor
Ruth Chung
Ruth Chung, Media Manager
Ruth is a first-year writer for the Talon and social media manager. She is a varsity cheerleader and outside of school enjoys eating Chipotle, reading, and obsessing over the Kardashians, obviously. 
$1020
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

Please see our comments policy before posting. https://www.cfhstalon.com/about/comments-policy/
All The Talon Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• S

Stephanie FitzgeraldNov 19, 2023 at 11:47 pm

Hilarious!!! Great read!

Reply